The General Secretariat is the staff and coordination office of the department and
- supports and advises the head of department in his daily work,
- is responsible for planning and monitoring items of business,
- monitors results and impacts of the measures taken,
- is responsible for overall coordination of departmental business,
- provides services for the whole department in terms of resources (HR, finance and logistics, IT, controlling and translations) and
- acts as IT service provider to the department through its Information Service Center (ISCeco).
Also affiliated to the General Secretariat are the Central Office for Civilian Service and the Federal Consumer Affairs Bureau. The Central Office for Civilian Service examines applications submitted by those who for reasons of conscience choose not to perform military service. Once their application has been approved, these people perform community-based work in the areas of social services, healthcare, the environment or maintaining cultural goods. The Central Office organises these work placements in the public interest. The task of the Federal Consumer Affairs Bureau is to act in the consumer’s general interest while finding a balance between the collective interests of consumers and the interests of the economy as a whole. To ensure that consumers are heard and to strengthen their position, the Bureau seeks to encourage objective information.
Last modification 18.01.2018